Friday, April 16, 2004

Reality checks, Life takes pawn en passant

This has been a really crappy week.

J stayed up really late one night, berating the credit card company for blocking her internet purchase, which was, of course, a time-limited offer. And had to wake up at 6am for a conference call. Which started a big cycle of insomnia for both of us.

I received a statement from said bank with an annual subscription charge for their credit line, and a $5 interest charge, which annoyed me to no end. Apparently I'd let a monthly GIRO payment bring the usually-black account into the red for a while, and $5 is the minimum interest charge. So I called up and cancelled it. The bank officer tried to persuade me of its usefulness as an overdraft facility; I countered with the availability of other proper, and far cheaper, overdraft facilities available from other banks should I require one. Game over, insert coin to continue.

J managed to drop a loaded plastic IKEA drawer on her big toe. First time I'd ever seen her super-pain-tolerant-self rolling on the floor and bawling loud enough to wake the neighbours. She shrieks even on the most ginger contact with the blackened nail; tomorrow she'll visit the clinic for a professional opinion. I hope nothing's broken.

The father of my dear old friend passed away last night, from cancer. Just attended the wake. The deceased used to be a large and jolly man; his cadaver lying there in the coffin looked so shrunken and shriveled. For a moment, I was at a totally different person's funeral. Then reality asserted itself with the realization that I'd spoken to the correct son just minutes ago. Not a pleasant feeling.

The brother of another friend attempted suicide last night. He survived, but the whole family is in really bad shape from the shock.

Come on, hit me again. What's next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home