Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Car accident

This entry is as much to facilitate my future recollection of events as it is a standard blog entry.

Had dinner at my folks' place and sent J home before returning to the office to try and catch the LatAm engineers online and get some work done. As I looped into Tan Quee Lan Street, hoping to find a parking lot, I came up behind a car that was reversing into a vacated lot on the right. I stopped near the left side line of parked cars, leaving substantial clearance as is my habit in these situations, and waited for the reversing car to complete its manoeuvering.

However, the parked black car which I'd just overlapped on the left seemed to think that the coast was clear, and proceeded to back out of his lot. Straight towards the front left of my MINI. Sensing movement to my left, I saw the black car reversing and mashed the horn, but I was too late - our vehicles made contact with a disheartening crumpling sound.

Both drivers got out to inspect the damage. His rear bumper had folded slightly where it appeared to have impacted with the MINI's front-left wheel. There didn't seem to be any physical damage to the MINI's body, but the panel looked suspiciously out of alignment, and the front bumper's alignment seemed off. I'll have to send the car back to Performance Motors to check that nothing else was knocked out of whack. :(

J was pretty upset when I called to tell her about the news. But don't worry hon, I'm safe, and we'll send the MINI in for a checkup to make sure everything's fine.

Funny thing is, the registration number on both car plates were pretty close to each other - the front letters were one cycle apart (second letters differed by one, third letters were identical) and the numbers differed by 1 (XXX7 and XXX8). Talk about coincidence.

Perhaps life is trying to tell me not to work overtime in the office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home