Sunday, June 26, 2005

Color woes

I didn't realize how odd the Clarke Quay photo looked until I loaded the image in Firefox and put it side-by-side with the Photoshop image. The browser's image had a noticeable variance from the photo that I remembered editing - the natural deep blue sky took on a strong cyan tint, sunlight on the buildings had a warmer cast, reds became less saturated, and some subtle shadow details in the boats had gone almost completely dark.

A web search turned up several explanations but no real solutions. Apparently, the web browser (and many other programs) ignores the embedded color profile information, and displays the image in the default colorspace. Which unfortunately wasn't the colorspace that I performed the edits in. And so the resulting image looks different (at least to me) from the Photoshop image.

So far I've been unable to find a way to make the photo in the web browser match what I originally envisaged the picture to be. Search results seem to indicate that I need to do more research into color profiles and management.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home