Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Under house arrest

Or at least it feels like it. On Saturday night, we went to a restaurant just across the street to get some soup and something warm to settle my stomach. But just after the soup, I felt my stomach heave, so I left J and KB to finish the rest of dinner and left for home first.

Bad move.

Before I even reached the pedestrian crossing, my vision started to gray out and become noisy. Intermittent blades of grass flashed white as the sound of traffic and chatter turned muted and hollow, and my breath felt shorter and shorter. I knew I was in trouble, and none of us had brought our cellphones out so there was nobody I could call; I didn't have the strength to shout for help either.

Leaning hard on the pedestrian crossing button, I stared blindly at the lights, straining my ears to hear the buzzing that would accompany the green man. And yet I hesitated - dare I trust my vision to spot the oncoming car with the oblivious driver? Somehow in my stupor I registered the headlamps of stopped cars on both sides of the road, so I made my crossing slowly.

My vision swam as I walked past the gate and up the path to the lobby. The gray noise grew louder and more insistent, and a roaring silence hit my ears. Unwilling to black out standing, I sat down hard on the pavement to catch my breath. Strength and vision returned partially after a minute, and somehow I must have hauled myself on, head swimming and lungs pumping, into the safety of the house.

I stayed indoors and off food for the whole of Sunday.

On Monday I went to the office, but couldn't keep lunch down and ended up going to see the doctor anyway, who put me on restorative salts, anti-vomiting pills, anti-diarrhoea capsules and two days of medical leave.

This is what I looked like today:


Miserable!

Managed to get some solid food in for dinner tonight, so my stomach is definitely recovering. I won't be able to enjoy tomorrow night's dinner at Aburiya, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home