Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The comfort zone is a frightening thing

On workday mornings, when J doesn't feel like tackling the traffic, she gets me to drive to my office, after which she'll take over and drive to her own workplace. The route takes us down the East Coast Parkway and into the city, through several ERP gantries (automated time-sensitive toll gates).

This morning, I was in the driver's seat, doing battle with the daily rash of annoying vehicles in slow traffic. Just meters away from the first gantry, J remembered with a start that she had removed the cashcard from the car's transponder unit the day before.

Fumbling frantically with the piece of plastic, realization struck: I wouldn't be quick enough to stuff the card in the slot before passing under the gantry unless I slammed on the brakes.

I didn't.

The transponder beeped angrily, just seconds before the cashcard clicked in. I was too late.

We'd added this plastic protector thing to the IVU that's meant to conceal the presence of your cashcard. It supposedly deters itchy-handed opportunists from smashing your window for the cashcard, although I think it's absolutely silly -- since by simply having it on you practically declare to the world that you have a cashcard worth snatching in there.

This morning, I'd assumed that the cashcard was already in there.

First offender's fine amounts to ten bucks plus whatever toll amount was being charged at the time. But if I'd braked suddenly to settle the cashcard instead -- at best, the driver right behind would have to e-brake or swerve to avoid kissing my ass, causing a ripple reaction back through hundreds of cars. More likely, it would have caused a chain collision, with me at the head of it.

A $10-odd fine is really a small price to pay. It will serve as a reminder to both of us to check carefully next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home