Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Freespace frenzy

While ploughing through a whole chunk of '04 photos, I attempted to be ruthless and discard photos that didn't make the cut, but that failed rather miserably. It wasn't difficult to be self-critical - I knew how bad most of those 'saved' photos were - but somehow I'd still hesitate to delete them, wondering if I'd regret not being able to see those pics again in future.

I did pick out a couple of photos that I'd long since forgotten about, though. Here's one:

raul bus ad

So much for cutting down on the volume. Making two copies of each DVD-R, I ended up with a total of ten discs just for 2004.

The painful bit isn't that the DVD-Rs are expensive. In fact, they're getting a lot cheaper now - I just paid $54 for 50 pieces of Fujifilm 8x DVD-Rs (made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan, according to the store's boss).

No, the painful bit is that my setup takes about 30 minutes to perform the write-verify cycle for each disc, during which I can either (1) surf the web, (2) watch anime with really choppy playback, or (3) read a book. Out of which I usually end up doing (2), which just goes to show how much of a sucker I am for punishment.

The good news is that I now have another twenty-odd gigabytes of free space available for photos and processing, and it'll take a couple of months at least before I get hit by the space crunch again. Probably.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home