Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Lens itch: Tamron 28-75/2.8

After hesitating for several weeks because of the overlap in zoom range with my Canon EF 28-135mm IS lens, I finally gave in and picked up a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 zoom lens yesterday.

I can see why so many people are happy with this lens - it has nice sharpness wide open, decent focusing speed and is really light for a f/2.8 large-aperture zoom. In fact, it weighs in at only 510 grams, which is 30 grams lighter than the Canon 28-135mm.

toasted bread with kaya and a slab of butter
One of my favourite breakfast/tea-time snacks

The one thing that annoys me is the Tamron rear-lens cap, which is specially designed to fit the lens in only one position, making it bothersome to cap back when changing lenses in a hurry. Thankfully the Canon lens caps fit well, and I have enough Canon caps for everything if I keep a lens attached to the camera body.

It started to rain heavily this evening while waiting for J to pick me up, so I pulled out the new lens and started snapping from the relative safety of the overhang.

panning shot of a taxi crossing a junction in front of two bright car headlamps
Panning shot attempt at 1/10sec

two women huddling under a plastic sheet for shelter on a trishaw ride
Wrong night for a trishaw ride

I didn't realise that the traffic lights flickered so much - look at the red 'dot' trails in the above pics. In comparison, filament-based lights show up as solid trails, like the headlamps from the cars in the background.

This lens will probably be on my camera for the time being as I try to get the hang of its range and limitations. I'll probably pick up a B+W UV filter for it soon - leaving the front element unprotected is a scary thing - and maybe a circular polarizer too, since I can share it with my Canon 70-200 f/4.

Happy! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home