Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Moomba

We had dinner with D&H last night at The Moomba, a cosy, dimly-lit but pleasantly-decorated Australian themed eatery with attached wine shop. First time for me, but the restaurant has been around for some eight years or so. (I'd actually been trying to get J to go, but she freaked out when I mentioned that they served kangaroo meat).

(In classic 'oops' style, I'd brought my camera with me but had forgotten to bring a CF card. No pictures this time, sorry!)

Started off with a minestrone soup ($6), which had a couple of sizeable beef chunks, a few strands of spaghetti and the usual mix of beans and vegetables; nothing very special here but good all the same. We shared the Antipasto Moomba, a tower of assorted green veggies, onions, mushrooms and cured fish slices piled neatly atop a garlic bun; an interesting mix of flavours and textures.

This being my first visit, I was feeling curious and absolutely had to try the Kangaroo Loin ($32). I had it done medium rare as recommended, and apart from the slightly game-y taste it looked very much like, and had a texture similar to, a good Sirloin steak, complimented very well by the slightly sweet sauce and green vegetables. I liked it, but J refused to try any and stuck to her salad.

For dessert, we shared a cheese board ($12) and a chocolate fondant ($10). The cheese board consisted of Australian Blue, Cheddar and Double Brie (the Brie was from King Island, yummy), fruit slices and some really, really good brown bread.

The Moomba suffers the same fate as many decent restaurants in the Shenton Way area - brisk business during lunch, poor patronage during dinner on weekdays. Making it a really pleasant place to go to for a quiet, enjoyable dinner, which I like very much. I'll definitely be coming back for more.

The Moomba is located on Circular Road behind Boat Quay, at the end of a row of shophouses close to UOB Plaza.

The Moomba
52 Circular Road
Singapore 049407
Tel: 6438 0141

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home